Coming to Australia
Australia has implemented strict travel measures in an attempt to protect the health of the Australian community and to combat the spread of the COVID 19 virus. There are currently a limited number of flights to and from Australia, available only to travellers who have been granted an individual travel exemption or who are automatically exempt.
All travellers entering Australia are obliged to undergo mandatory quarantine for a period of 14 days. This is unless you have arrived on a quarantine-free flight from New Zealand.
You are automatically exempt and can enter Australia without applying for a travel exemption if you are:
- An Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- An immediate family member of an Australian Citizen or Permanent Resident
- A citizen of New Zealand who usually resides in Australia as well as their immediate family members
- A person that has spent 14 days or more in New Zealand immediately prior to arrival in Australia
- An Australian accredited diplomat, as well as their immediate family
- A person in transit for 72 hours or less
- Airline or maritime crew
- A person who has been recruited under the Government approved Seasonal Worker Program or Pacific Labour Scheme
- A person who holds a Business Innovation and Investment (subclass 188) Visa.
If you do not fall into any of the above categories, you may still be eligible to apply for an individual travel exemption. You can apply for an individual travel exemption and may be granted the exemption if you are:
- A foreign national who has been invited by the Australian Government for the purpose of assisting with the COVID 19 response or whose entry would be in the national interest of the country.
- A person providing specialist medical services such as air ambulance, medical evacuations and the delivery of critical medical supplies.
- A person who works in a critical sector or a foreign national with critical skills
- Sponsored by your employer to work in Australia in an occupation on the Priority Migration Skilled Occupation List (PMSOL)
- In a specified category of military personnel
- A student completing year 11 or 12
- A student in their final years of study in a specified medical area.
- travelling for compassionate and compelling reasons.
If you plan on entering Australia during the current COVID 19 pandemic and need assistance in obtaining a visa or a travel exemption, please feel free to get in touch with one of our highly skilled registered migration agents.