English Requirements for the 457
All applicants applying for the 457 visa must meet the English language requirements.
You will either need to sit a relevant English language test OR qualify for an exemption.
English Language Tests
On the 18th April 2015, the English language testing changed, any applications lodged after this date needed to demonstrate an average band score as well as a minimum band score in each component.
Scores for each test are below;
- IELTS: overall average score of 5, minimum band score of 4.5
- OET – Occupational English Test: a ‘B’ pass in all 4 components and is a test for health or medical professionals and not recommended for people who are not working in these areas.
- TOEFL iBT – a total score of 36, with at least 3 in Reading and Listening and at least 12 in Writing and Speaking
- PTE – Pearson Test (Academic): an average band score of 36, minimum of 30 in each band
- CAE – Cambridge English (Advanced): an average band score of 154, minimum of 147 in each band. (Your test must have been conducted after 01 January 2015).
English tests are valid for 3 years from the date of issue, tests can be sat after the 457 visa is lodged.
Exemptions to sitting the English Language Test
Some 457 visa applicants are exempt from sitting the English language test, they are;
- Passport holders from the UK, USA, Canada, New Zealand or Ireland; or
- The applicant has completed 5 years of education at either a secondary or tertiary level and all studies were taught in English.
- The applicant is being paid a salary over $96,400